How can I avoid skin irritation caused by the CGM sensor adhesive?
If you are experiencing skin irritation and sensitivity, please work with your healthcare professional (HCP) to find a solution that works with your needs.
General Considerations if You're Experiencing Irritated or Sensitive Skin*
These considerations, skin barriers, and professional tips may help. Remember what works best for one person may not work best for everyone. You and your HCP may need to try several different products or methods to figure out whether these options work for you.
- Clean skin with oil-free, antimicrobial soap and dry thoroughly
- Gentle exfoliation recommended for oily skin
- Trim hair with dry razor if needed
- Do not use any lotion or oil containing moisturizer where you insert the sensor
- Do not insert sensor immediately after a shower/bath or in a steamy bathroom – minimize humidity with hairdryer or application in a dry environment
- Solid or spray antiperspirant (unscented) may help with skin prone to sweating. Create an empty oval on the skin with the antiperspirant, wait 10-15 minutes. Insert sensor on clean skin in center of oval
You and your HCP can utilize this summary of three clinical irritated and sensitive skin articles published by clinicians independent from Dexcom based on their knowledge and experience. These are not Dexcom products and Dexcom has not tested these approaches, nor do we endorse these specific approaches. For detailed step-by-step instructions on how to use your Dexcom G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System, please refer to the Using Your G6 guide.